web-based glossary of terms
Coordinator Prof. R. Debicki.
The project is aimed at designing, creating and maintaining an online, web-based, multi-lingual
glossary of terms related to combating desertification and mitigating drought.
Taking into account the role that the glossary of terms, relevant for combating desertification
and mitigating the drought should play, the following objectives can be underlined:
- enabling the discussion on terms and definitions related to combating desertification and mitigating drought;
- harmonizing scientific knowledge on desertification, drought and, in general, on land degradation;
- communicating the glossary in an understandable and easily accessible manner for various end-users;
- improving and coordinating the dissemination of information;
- helping to facilitate and accelerate the implementation of the Convention though a clear explanation ofterms, common and universal understanding, easy access and exchange of information.
(1) Selection criteria for relevant terms and definitions, concerning physical, biological, cultural
and socio-economic aspects of the UNCCD, as well as, the procedure for their acceptance, should be agreed upon,
and should lead to the classification of terms into the following three groups:
- terms used in the UNCCD convention;
- relevant terms generally used in UN environmental treaties and international scientific organizations;
- other related technical terms widely used, at the sub-regional or regional level, by stake-holders involved in the implementation of the Convention;
(2) design, organization and legal aspects of the web-based glossary should follow UN rules and procedures;
(3) the use of internet technology should be in line with the procedures of the UNCCD Secretariat;
(4) continuous up-dating of the glossary should be carried out under the UNCCD coordination.
These are the basic elements of the web-based glossary. Their realization, work load and time-table in line
with the work plan, is indispensable to achieve the objectives of this task.