Western Black Sea Environmental System (W-BLESS)
||Capacity building of Romanian Institutions through training and Know-how transfer.
|Sectorial Topic (Note):
||Sustainable land use management, including water, soil and vegetation in affected areas
||Ministry for the Environment and Territory; Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV) (Italy); Ministry for Waters and Environmental Protection, Governmental (Romania), organizations and municipalities located along the Romanian coast of the Black Sea.
||Enhancing Romanian institutions’ capacity to manage and operate an integrated environmental system for the cleaning up of the Black Sea coastal area.
|Means of Implementation:
||Pilot Project total cost: 432.000,00 euro.
Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory’s financial contribution: 360.000,00 euro.
1. Set up of an environmental monitoring and forecasting system applied to the Romanian ecosystem;
2. Identification and monitoring of punctual and diffused pollution sources in three basins (Danube Delta);
3. Pollution categorisation according to existing assets;
4. Environmental performance enhancing schemes to meet quality standards in rivers and in the Black Sea;
5. Analysis of the financial viability if the proposed solutions;
6. Identification of suitable financial institutions to fund construction and rehabilitation works.
||Western Black Sea
||1. Enhanced capacity of local institutions in preparing and managing environmental plans; 2. Preventing further degradation, protect and upgrade river and marine eco-system; 3. Foster power saving as a result of an improved asset management aimed at reducing operation costs; 4. Make available adequate financial resources to build infrastructures to safeguard the environment; 5. Prepare the financial assessment report and the economic-financial model to initiate the procedures for access to the international funding required for the implementation of the overall project.
|Relevance to the Plan of Implementation of WSSD:
||This project addresses several priority actions identified in the plan of implementation which are related to the managing of natural resources as a base for sustainable development in particular:
-introducing measures to improve the efficiency of water infrastructure to reduce losses;
-develop integrated water resources management and water efficiency plans by 2005;
-adopting prevention and protection measures to promote sustainable water use and to address water shortages;
||Valeria Clara Rizzo
Italian Ministry for Environment and Territory
Address: Via Cristoforo Colombo, 44 – 00147 Roma
Phone: 0039-06- 5722-8106/09