Youth Forestry Program in Argentina
||Strengthening the role of civil society organizations in the promotion of sustainable development.
Enhancing youth participation in the promotion of sustainable development.
Increasing the forest area in the Santiago del Estero Province.
Reducing the presence of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Creating job possibilities through the reforestation/afforestation activities.
|Sectorial Topic (Note):
||Launching of reforestation/afforestation programmes and intensification of
soil conservation programmes
||Ministry for the Environment and Territory (Italy), Grupo Ambiental para el Desarollo (GADE), Fundacion del Sur, Secretariat of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
||Enhancing youth and women participation in the promotion of sustainable development.
|Means of Implementation:
||Project total costs: 1.225,700 USD
Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory’s financial contribution : 827,200,00 USD
To form groups of young volunteers in twelve locations at Santiago del Estero Province, which will develop reforestation/afforestation aimed at restoring degraded land and to reducing the presence of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
||Argentina - Santiago del Estero Province
||1. Twelve Environmental Youth Groups set up throughout Santiago del Estero (one in each of the cities/towns/rural communities).
2. The Santiago del Estero Environmental Youth Group Network established.
3. Two hundreds and forty young people trained in the environmental and social organization issues.
4. One hundred and twenty young people included in the labor market.
5. Eight tree nurseries providing seedlings for national and provincial reforestation programs.
6. Three thousand hectares reforested.
7. Project eligible as “carbon sequestration” initiative under the CDM of Kyoto Protocol.
|Relevance to the Plan of Implementation of WSSD:
||This project addresses several priority actions identified in the plan of implementation which are related to the managing of natural resources as a base for sustainable development in particular:
- Poverty eradication
- Awareness raising and community involvement
- Job creation and increasing of local market
||A side-event will be held on Sep. 1 within the framework of the UNCCD CoP 6
||Valeria Clara Rizzo
Italian Ministry for Environment and Territory
Address: via Cristoforo Colombo, 44
Phone: 0039-06- 5722-8106/09