Pilot project for fight against and to prevent desertification
||Protection of natural resources and cultural heritage, and development of energy efficiency and clean energy.
|Sectorial Topic (Note):
||Sustainable land use management, including water, soil and vegetation in affected areas
||Ministry for Environment and Territory (Italy); The Ministry of Land Planning and Environment of Algeria.
||Bilateral agreement on environmental protection.
|Means of Implementation:
||The pilot projects, supported by the Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory, will be implemented with be financial resources mobilized through the full implementation of the agreement, concerning the utilization of the Algerian debt towards Italy for sustainable development and environmental protection.
||1. Implementation of the Algerian National Plan for Sustainable Development;
2. Capacity building in the environmental governance;
3. Restoration and management of cultural heritage and ancient roman sites;
4. Remedation of contamined coastal sites;
5. Integrated coastal zone management;
6. Fight against and to prevent desertification;
7. Restoration and management of cultural heritage and ancient roman sites.
8. Waste treatment;
9. Promotion of renewable energies.
Project total costs: 6.900.000,00 euros
Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory’s financial contribution: 6.900.000,00 euros
The Program foresees also the establishment of an “Operational Unit” staffed by Italian and Algerian experts, financed by the Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory and the Algerian Ministry for the Environment and Land Management
10. Establishment of the “Foundation Déserts du Monde” (Financial Contribution of 400.000,00 euros provided by the Italian Ministry for the Environment and Territory).
|Relevance to the Plan of Implementation of WSSD:
||The Development Goal, endorsed by the World Summit on Sustainable Development held in Johannesburg set a new target of halving the proportion of people who do not have access to basic sanitation by 2015. It also recognized the key role of water in agriculture, energy, health, biodiversity and ecosystems as well as in combating poverty.
||Valeria Clara Rizzo
Italian Ministry for Environment and Territory
Address: via Cristoforo Colombo, 44
Phone: 0039-06- 5722-8106/09